Friday, January 3, 2014

Making New Year’s Resolutions? Helpful Hints to Make Them Stick

Lily M. Taylor, RD, LD
GRMC Clinical Dietitian

If you have trouble making your New Year’s resolutions stick, you are not alone. They are notoriously hard to maintain. According to research published just this month by the University of Scranton, only eight percent of us are actually successful in achieving our resolutions. /http://www.statisticbrain.com/new-years-resolution-statistics/

One of the most popular resolutions is to lose weight. When it comes to eating, healthy eating works best when you can incorporate it into your everyday lifestyle. Examples of healthy eating practices include eating breakfast. Even a small snack on the go could be beneficial for your metabolism. Other examples include drinking water throughout the day, eating from a variety of food groups, and watching portion sizes. 

Check the MyPlate website www.choosemyplate.gov to see how many servings of each food group are recommended for YOU and what counts as a recommended portion size. When it comes to healthy eating goals, I like to focus on nutritional benefits of food and how I can incorporate healthy choices, such as eating more fruits and vegetables or planning out my breakfasts for a week, rather than focusing on avoiding certain foods. 

Making SMART Goals:
No matter what areas of your life you choose to work on, try to make your goals SMART. 

SMART goals are:
·       Specific - Address the ‘what’ and ‘why’ of your goal and how you are going to achieve it.
·       Measureable – Determine a way to measure your progress toward this goal.
·       Attainable - Set goals that allow you to be successful. Start small and grow from your successes and challenges.
·       Realistic- Determine if your goal and action plans are doable and not overwhelming. Are you willing and able to do the work?
·       Time sensitive - Give it a target date so it doesn’t always get pushed to the bottom of your to-do list.

Here’s an example:
I will eat three servings of fruits and vegetables daily, recording my intake in my calendar, to improve my vitamin, mineral, and fiber intake. I will do this for three months. At that time I will evaluate my progress and decide how to maintain or change my goal.

It’s specific. I have a plan for tracking my success and measuring my progress. I have also included why my goal is important. The time frame I’ve set also helps me to evaluate whether or not the goal is realistic for me to accomplish. I have a deadline to stop to evaluate my progress and decide where to go next.

It’s about YOU
Everybody is different. It might be more realistic for some people to start with a goal of having one serving of a fruit or vegetable daily. Your goals should be designed for YOU. It’s important to not feel overwhelmed. You can always update your goals as you become comfortable with your original plan. 

Get moving!
Remember, healthy eating works best when you also are physically active. The two work together well.

If getting more physical activity is part of your New Year’s resolution, make sure those goals are SMART and consider checking out the PWA Fitness Center at GRMC.

I know first-hand that the trainers are great at helping their clients come up with individualized plans that fit their schedules and interests! Call them today at 641-236-2999 to set an appointment. 

“When you’re trying to motivate yourself, appreciate the fact that 
you’re even thinking about making a change. 
And as you move forward, allow yourself to be good enough.” 
Alice Domar

No comments:

Post a Comment